Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The theme verse

So in Kids 4 Christ we have a theme verse for our children's ministry each month. We teach the kids this verse on Sunday's and Wednesdays and with the lesson we teach we will incorporate this verse. We want the kids to not only know the verse but understand what it means and how to apply it to their everyday life.  This verse is not just for the kids it's for the leaders to which is why I am writing this post tonight.
The theme verse for June is James 1:19 My Beloved brothers know this Be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.  
- Tonight I am putting the kids to bed and I get Kate in her bed and then tell Copelan ( 2 and a half years old) to go sit on the potty. As he's on the potty i wait in his room and then i hear the plunger..so I go in and of course he says more pee so he gets back on the potty and I go back in his room to do what..look at my phone..then a few seconds later I hear the plunger again...this time i sit my phone down and I yell at him. We get into his room and he will not get his pants back on and is screaming, so i pull him off his bed and lay him on the floor and get his pants on him as he's screaming in my face. I honestly had to shut his door and take a break. When I went back in a minute later he was crying so hard and it made me feel awful...he's only 2 as hard as it may be I have to give him grace.  I so need to practice this verse...slow to speak and slow to anger. I don't want to just yell at him and get so angry..seriously..this verse hit me hard tonight as I layed with him and prayed with him and tucked him tonight.
This is exactly what I taught the girls tonight..think before we speak so that way we have time to process and pray and not get angry and do something we regret. I will remember this verse and put it into practice in my daily life.  I want to give my kids grace and be patient with them.
Lord help me to be slow to anger and slow to speak. Help me Lord to have patience towards my kids.
My actions really got to me tonight..so I am going to make a change. I'm going to slow down and yes that's easy to say right now when the house is quiet and I've had time to chill.  But for real I'm slowing down and not just enjoying being their mom but I'm going to slow down before i react to them and the things they do.  They are just kids and just learning the least I can do is help them learn and be patient with them.   I felt like I had really failed him in that moment but I know we will wake up and he will be excited to see me when he wakes up :) I love waking up in the morning to my kids no mater how tired I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment